POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Cube fractals again: traditional method vs. K's union method (8 x JPG 800 x 600, 304 KB) : Cube fractals again: traditional method vs. K's union method (8 x JPG 800 x 600, 304 KB) Server Time
15 Aug 2024 16:30:39 EDT (-0400)
  Cube fractals again: traditional method vs. K's union method (8 x JPG 800 x 600, 304 KB)
From: Yadgar
Date: 20 May 2002 13:39:39
Message: <3CE93452.5EF5F5E2@tiscalinet.de>
High!

Several weeks ago, I posted here on a problem with primitive fractal
scenes. Back then, I used to build them by nesting
loops corresponding to their tree-like structure. But (at least with the
cube fractal) whenever I did this more than 4 iterations
deep, I got that nasty "Too many nested objects" error.

Then the ominous K appeared on the scene... he posted an alternative
solution in p.b.s-f capitalizing on PoV-Ray's implicit
creation of objects:

#declare cubes=
union
{
   object { cube}
   object { cube ...}
   object  { cube ... }
}

#declare cubes=
union
{
    object { cube }
    object { cubes ... }
    object { cubes ... }
}

and so on... each definition of "cubes" is scaled and translated in the
following re-definition.

I then started to use this technique, it worked very well, but of course
there is the problem, that, unlike with nested loops, I'll
never be able to modify each single cube individually, for example by
using rand(). Nevertheless, K's method yielded some
very interesting results, which I would like to show here.

But as realistic trees need branches and twigs which are individually
modifyable, I still asked myself if there are other ways to
get rid of the "too many nested objects" error - I just can't imagine
that all the many more or less sophisticated tree macros
use not more than 4 iterations! One way I myself found indeed - to put
the whole nested loop structure together in a merge
statement instead of a union - but then calculation becomes dead slow,
around 1 line every 10 minutes or so, not to mention
radiosity...

A propos radiosity: can anyone give me a hint how to avoid those ugly
blotchy artifacts?

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar

Now playing: Out of World (Feltman Trommelt)

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'boxes0027.jpg' (39 KB) Download 'boxes0021.jpg' (31 KB) Download 'boxes0022a.jpg' (44 KB) Download 'boxes0023.jpg' (42 KB) Download 'boxes0024a.jpg' (42 KB) Download 'boxes0025.jpg' (39 KB) Download 'boxes0026a.jpg' (44 KB) Download 'boxes0020.jpg' (28 KB)

Preview of image 'boxes0027.jpg'
boxes0027.jpg

Preview of image 'boxes0021.jpg'
boxes0021.jpg